Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

In the backyard

     Brisk air has ascended upon us. Surprising us with the realization that Fall and falling back on every clock in the house, is right around the corner.
     There will be a few things I miss about our house but none more so than our window on the world from our backyard. Living on the 'T' of a canal is a triple treat with backyard views all around. Backyards are really families' living rooms. We grill there, we swim, we play ball, we garden - there is a life that goes on there that no one ever sees from our front doors and driveways.
     Squeals of delight drew me outside this evening where a young boy across the canal had a fish on the line of his tiny fishing pole. It was a decent size fish and he had no idea how to pull it in. His sister ran off to the house to presumably get adult help. Mother arrived a few minutes later; looked the situation over and headed back toward the house to presumably get Dad. Dad, Mom and baby sister in her princess costume, soon arrived at the canal's edge to help pull in the big one.
     As the group gathered for the admiration ceremony, Mom hurriedly returned to the house. I knew what she would return with. The camera, of course. Group shots were taken with the fisherman proudly holding up his catch.
     I felt that tightness in my chest that always comes when I am moved by love, or patriotism, or kindness. Or when I lament the passing of my own daughters' childhoods.
     It was a Kodak moment - a short movie with no admission price or jockeying for a good seat. I was blessed to witness it right here from my own backyard. It is one perk I will miss when we move on.

Between the lines,
              later.

No comments:

Post a Comment