Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Just one more...Addiction.

I am still reeling over the loss of Robin Williams. Not a day passes where I don't see his image - those sweet eyes - or think of the pain he must have been enduring those last few days. I want to forget about it, but in order to make sense of his death, we must remember. I think he would want us to find a silver lining - to save or at least recognize some other human being that is in pain. Maybe that's what we are supposed to learn from Robin's life and his untimely death. Actually is there such a thing as a 'timely' death?

Anyway, this pondering reminded me of an entry I made some time ago...about addiction and another celebrity. Thought I would share it with you again.

No one grows up dreaming of becoming an alcoholic or addict. It's just not a hit on the Top Ten Parade, for those of you who remember Dick Clark and the show Bandstand. Instead we dream of wealth, happiness, stardom, success, and maybe a long life.

Recently I read an obituary about a man I met many years ago while I was in treatment. My first sight of him was as he shuffled down the hallway like an elderly person, in his slippers, with a distant and glazed look in his eyes. I recognized him. He was a celebrity type. Known for his television career and his wild escapades with celebrities of the opposite sex, in this place he was just a regular guy. He was like me and I just like him. Sick, and sick and tired of being sick and tired.

We became comrades.I watched him struggle as he described several treatment centers he had been in before this one. He finished his 28 day program before me and as we said goodbye, I prayed that he had gotten 'it' this time. I was sad when I heard some years later that he was back in treatment again.

Addiction sneaks up on its victims. Cunning, baffling, and powerful, the menacing disease exercises no discretion at choosing between the poor and the wealthy, the black and the white, the young and the old, blue collar or white collar. It strikes where and when it can, and consumes not only the user, but the entire family and surrounding community. It kills if given the opportunity.

I will probably never know if my friend died sober. The newspaper didn't say. But his legacy to me will be a reminder that recovery from addiction, whatever kind it is - alcohol, drugs, gambling, overeating - all these recoveries are a gift.

Today I am very grateful for my gift. Thank you, James, for sharing part of my journey. May you rest in peace.

Between the lines...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lee Ann, great story and so glad you found the gift. My stepson is a drug addict that has robbed much of my adult life but stories like yours give me hope that someday soon he might get his gift. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete